Welcome! This the first recipe I am sharing and I am excited for you to try it out. Everyone needs a simple, delicious, foolproof chocolate cupcake recipe, and this is mine. I use cocoa powered and baking chocolate to get that super rich chocolaty flavor.
Just a note: make sure you remember to add the coffee-chocolate mixture when you mix the batter. In all honesty I completely forgot to add it in last time I made these. If this does happen, you can make a simple chocolate ganache with semi-sweet chocolate and heavy cream and fill the cupcakes with them to add back in that richness.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, and you can pair it with a basic buttercream, top it with a ganache, or whatever you are feeling. Don’t worry, I won’t judge you even if you choose to just grab some store-bought chocolate frosting, sometimes thats all you have time for and that’s okay!
Anyways, I hope you enjoy this recipe. Make sure to leave a comment and let me know how they turned out!
Yield: 18 Cupcakes Total Time: 35 minutes
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup strong coffee
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup Buttermilk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- Preheat to 350F, and add papers to a cupcake tin
- Place the chocolate in a large bowl and pour the hot coffee over the chocolate while you whisk until melted – move to fridge to cool
- Combine the dry ingredients in stand mixer
- Add the buttermilk, eggs, and canola oil into the chocolate coffee mixture and whisk together
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Note: don’t forget the cooled chocolate/coffee mixture!
- Beat until smooth
- Distribute batter evenly into the cupcake papers, filling each one about 3/4 of the way
- Bake for about 15 -20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before frosting